Dear Mainly Social Work Students,
I decided that I should write you all about what my internship/Nashville life actually entails and such. Although it will not be as interesting as pub crawls in Ireland it will suffice for those missing my humor : )
6:30 I rise without an alarm, without fail.. somehow
6:45 I really wake up and hop into the shower
7:00 I pick out the most non-matching but very Nashville looking outfit I can
7:20 I always find myself online.. unhealth addiction to FB & Blog then remember it is much more important to spend time with my Savior <3
7:45 Leave for work and always assume I am going to be late but still manage to get there before the actual paid staff.
8:10 I walk to the corporate office & take stock of what is needed in the closest (i.e. toilet paper, multi purpose cleaner, etc.) & do some clean up stuff.
9:00- various activities including,- Editing Weekly, Daily and Weekend Reports
- Sitting in on a new residents orientation/counseling session
- Spent one day following the girl's (clients) routines which is very strict and includes, bible study, praise & worship, class, details (chores), counseling, reading time, and 3 square meals & two snacks. (that's as far as I know it til 5)
- Went shopping with the nutritionist once and studied the accountability system for those struggling with Eating Disorders. Hoping to do this again.
- Shadowing what I can of the Program Director, as she has the job I want someday... but as I like to be, she is very busy.
- I have closed some cases of old residents which included editing and processing their paperwork (although the editing stuff does not seem significant or interesting- it really is. It is the heart of the center and it is the most social-worky thing besides counseling.
- Fill in as a receptionist, which handles the most face to face time with the girls, as they must sign out various things such as knives for cooking, scissors for scrapbooking, and sign on and off ‘couch’ (which is an accountability system for those who purge)
- Getting familiarized with the Medical paperwork of the girls and the medication routine
- And really just being able to befriend and have fun with these girls who have experienced so much and have carried so much hurt is really just amazing. I also have an hour lunch where I prefer to pack and eat with the girls as they are really funny.
5:00 I high-end my tail out before the Nashville traffic hits hard... SPEAKING OF! Guess who has two thumbs and a bent bumper on their Cobalt.. This guy. I got rear ended today in that crazy traffic. I was however, happy to say I totally kept my cool (lets just say I have been through this all before) It was a really great feeling to tell her where I work and what i do and be able to handle myself the way I did, seeing how she had just slammed my head into my steering wheel ten minutes prior. I have to say God has just been so good to me lately- who I am I to show anything but love? (Ps. I changed the blog alias. I just feel like with what I have been writing it fit- I know, you don't care- lol) Ok so that's it for 5pm.
5:15 A new tradition has arose ladies & gentlemen... I purchased a gym membership. Not only did I purchase a gym membership but it is a Day Spa!! Let's not talk about the price, but let's focus on the fact that they treat me like a Queen!! While my paperwork was being processed I was escorted to the Zumba Party class.. Um HELLO? They stole every ugly dance move I have ever had & made it healthy? It was hysterical!! I Loved every moment. two things I learned: one I have groove whether it be on beat or not-whatever; two: in every Latino/rap song we grooved to the chick in the song was getting her some free new shoes... I want free new shoes! Coach Gucci, whatever- get me some shoes! Okay so, I shared the class with only 6 other suburban middle aged women because the owner told me "We are not the Y, so we don't want to look like the Y, or smell like the Y" Not only do they cap membership but classes. Everyone knows everyone by name. It is three floors. Imagine the nicest Spa or Hotel you have been to... now times that by ten & put it in Nashville!!! In the pool area there is a jacuzzi, sonar, and steam room.. what a steam room is exactly for... I am not quite sure? But the pool is so romantic! The Bathroom in this place is outlandish. They give you robes, slippers, towels, shampoo, shower gel, and there is a station with vanities with makeup stuff, hair curlers, straighteners, blow dryers etc. and they open at 5:30 am!!!! We will have to see if my arise time changes : )
5:15 if not at the new gym (Sorry this is getting long) I would come home, to this gorgeous place! To a family cooking together (a balanced meal), pray, eat, sometimes play games- they are so funny when this happens, a lot of the times they watch movies on TV like Meg Ryan replays.
6:30 by this time I am def. on my computer skyping with Kirsten.
8:00 I usually am reading. Check out the reading list i just posted (look over & up) It is all pretty much bettering myself books & dealing with your junk to then deal with other people's junk.
10:00 I am really tired by this point, never fails. I don't think my body understands the hour difference still, if not already I talk to Ryan via phone or skype & then normally call it a night. I work Monday-Thursday & soon Fridays because the girls get to go out in the community (they call it mall- even if they go to target or something) To see them function outside Mercy is what really pumps me up. If you are interested more about their life check out this fun (short) blog I was a part of today http://nancyalcorn.blogspot.com/ On the weekends, I don't do much but Wednesday are my fav. day because that is when Ashley (the 25 year old girl who also lives here, is here most often Wed-Sat) She is super cool, really hospitable just like her rents and she is the closest thing I have to a friend. I go to a great church on Sunday mornings and Monday nights (except tonight because everything is still closed because of the weather) and if you missed it before the way to explain this church is picture the five hottest metro worship leaders (now put them all on stage together); Now take the one most craziest dancer in your church worship and the person who always end up on the floor (now imagine all 800 people being one of those two people); Think of the most spiritual moment you had the Holy Spirit (and make that last for 2.5 hours every week). The chairs are stood on more than sat and the pastors are just as much the funniest people you met as anointed. It rocks!
And that's all I have for you folks. I have fallen in Love with the ministry & even more so the girls. I spend a lot of time in prayer and really trying to pamper myself as I feel like God says I deserve it (hence the gym!) Thanks for ((letting me explain))