Friday, October 10, 2008

The Love Story

The Love Story

Like any other girl I have previously lived my love life through movies like The Notebook. I believed that men rode in on white horses and I expecting them to treat me like those fictional characters. With this false belief I have continually had my heart broken with every man I met. I have been emotional and physical abusive relationships. After the last relationship I had officially given up. I have internalized these failures and blamed myself. It took years for me to truly find love. So when I found this true love I decided I wanted to tell the world my love story. I wanted to describe a real love to every searching girl, so she could know that love does exist and to not give up on finding it. This is a real life love story filled with aches and pains, generosity and forgiveness. But it is a love that it is not depicted too often.
It is hard to explain how we first met. I had heard stories here and there from friends that just absolutely adored him. I had always meant to find him, but somehow he found me. It was just one of those magical moments when you know your life will never be the same. I knew instantly that he felt the same way. Although he did not say it in words, he showered me with gifts and there was always a smile on his face as he looked deep into my heart. We spent endless hours together and surprisingly he never got bored with me. He listened to all my stories and never lost interest. I felt like we had known each other forever, I could not understand how I had made it this far in life without him. He knew me from the inside out.
The things he did for me would just melt any girl’s heart. Towards the beginning of our relationship he had given me a book that changed my life. It seemed as if had written me a love story. Inside I found the true desires of my heart written in black and white. Every word he wrote was delicately chosen and thought out. His love poured out of every page. And for the first time I felt the true promise of forever. I had no idea my heart had ached for these words so much, until I saw them. Granted I had only begun to get to know him but because of that book here was no more doubt in my mind, he was the one.
The next couple of weeks were just bliss. Nothing else seemed to matter. I found myself enjoying every detail of my life because of his love. Every day I woke to find a new reason to enjoy his company, there is just no other way to explain it. Meanwhile my friends turned green with envy and ex-boyfriends begged for a second chance. Nothing really hit me as hard though, when my parents questioned. They questioned his motives, they questioned his realness, and they questioned my sanity.
I let their words sink deep; I festered over them until they took over. I began to doubt his love for me. I mean honestly what did he really want from me? Why was he being so nice? There had to be a catch. I began questioning his every move, losing faith in his words and worst of all I tried to hide my feelings from him. He could see I was acting different but he never lost patience with me. He just stood tall. He waited until I was ready to talk and he listened. He sympathized with every word that left my mouth. He held me until my tears began to dry and then he asked if he could take me to his special place.
I was hesitant to follow him but I had never been treated so fairly and loving before. He brought me to a place on campus, where the cars don’t drive by and the students don’t see. And then, as if we were in a movie, we danced. The only witnesses were the stars. It was just him and I in our open field. My worries never seemed so far away, my life never made more sense; I had never been more loved.
The next time I visited this field I went alone. There I found a newly planted garden. I had told him multiple times before of my love for flowers and now that it was. Most girls receive a rose here and there or maybe a dozen on holidays, but I had garden full. A garden made just for me.
Time had passed and we went through what any couple goes through when they are figuring out their lives. He was older than me and upon his graduation he was hired out of state. I’ll never forget the look in his eyes when he asked me “Will you follow me?” What girl could possibly say no? Sure, I had my own plans, my own desires but he needed me and I loved him. He was the only one who had shown me true compassion, love and forgiveness. He had never failed me before and I knew that if I put his plan first I would be taken care of. I put faith in his love and I know it was the right thing to do.


to be continued...