Sunday, October 19, 2008

[[courting]]

Its just like God to take something I thought I
knew everything about and completely flip it upside down...


I understand dating. I get the cat and mouse game.
I have dominated the field of mind games and I know
a little too much about flirting. But, [[courting]]
sounds so much better. So pure, so real and so [[perfect]].


Wikipedia explains Courtship as:
the traditional dating period before engagement and
marriage. During a courtship, a couple dates to get
to know each other and decide if there will be an
engagement. Usually courtship is a public affair,
done in public and with family approval.

It includes activities such as dating where couple go
together for a dinner, a movie, dance parties, [[a picnic]],
shopping or general "hanging out", along with other forms
of activity. Acts such as meeting on the internet or virtual
dating, chatting on-line, sending text messages or picture
messages, conversing over the telephone, writing each
other [[letters]], and sending each other flowers, songs,
and gifts constitute wooing.

Main Principles from Leave "Dating Behind: a Road Map to Marriage"
by Christina Rogers are:
* The guardianship responsibility of fathers over
single daughters.
* The responsibility of parents to prepare their
children for marriage in all respects, and for youths
to be prepared in terms of talents, education, vocation
and finances prior to seeking a courtship relationship.
* The mentoring role of parents or other suitable
"accountability couples" in a given courtship.
* Supervision of courtships to mitigate temptations
or abuse, whether of a sexual, emotional or financial nature.
* Emphasis of the importance of marriage as an opportunity
for Christian service rather than a selfish endeavor.

* Emphasis of the importance of singleness before
marriage as a time for greater [[Christian service]]
in the community, rather than a time to be employed
in selfish pursuits.
* Emphasis of the importance of counsel and evaluation
by family and friends as a relationship progresses.
* Emphasis of the importance of [[honesty]] and getting
to know one another as real people in "normal life"
during courtship (as contrasted with the dating habit
of meeting during special events and entertainment while
on one's best behavior.)
* The maintenance of sexual [[purity]].



..is all this possible? Granted, I know all things
are possible through Jesus Christ who strengthens me
Mark 9:23, but dating has been such a big part of
my life. Not to mention fun. But this is not my [[season]]
for it. I'm going to sit this one out for a little,
take some time for myself, for my friends, for God-
and maybe like everyone says I'll just look up someday...
and [[he'll be there]].

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am the author of the book you cited "Leave Dating Behind". Blessings upon your journey, and remember courting is simply a "way of thinking" based on good biblical principles. May you find your true love!