Friday, December 18, 2009

Empty Dorm Room

Just an fyi: I swear I have more intelligent, meaningful thoughts and conversations throughout the day but when it comes time to blog I feel I write about the most simple things.

Empty Dorm Rooms.
I know I have wrote about this before.
These thoughts I have now, I have had for years.
Tomorrow I will arise for the last time in my dorm room.
Today it is all packed up, hidden away in my closet
awaiting a handsome fellow to pack it in my car
((like I always make him do))
Yet this morning it still looked like my room.
There are no pictures, no wall hangings, no mess on the floor
no half-poured out bookbags, no half eaten cookies,
no ribbons and earrings tangled,
no super late homework assignments crumbled up,
no pink fuzzy socks to be found.
Nothing.
Empty walls in an Empty dorm.

But why then does it still feel like home?
Why do I still feel the same peace when I walk in?
Why can I tell that it is mine and feel like nothing is missing?

I have thought alot about what a home really means.
Some quote, "Home is where the heart is"
While others, "Home is not where you live, but where they understand you" 
And still others, "Home is the place where it feels right to walk around without shoes on"

So what is it, what is in the still of the air that makes everything so comforting?
Maybe I will never know, but whatever it is- I appreciate it.
And I appreciate that it follows me wherever I go.
That way I know, everyplace will be home. 



P.s. To anyone who reads this, whether you normally comment or not let me know what your thoughts are on this feeling, if you have ever had it or not. Or leave your favorite home quote so I can start a collection for future writings. Thanks!





2 comments:

Jordynn said...

And if home is really where the heart is
Then we're the smartest kids I know
Because wherever we are in this great big world
We'll never be more than a few hours from home
-Kimya Dawson

"Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place. "
-Garden State

above all else: Love said...

<3 thank you. Cant wait to read your blog!!